Researching and Consulting
- Serve as the primary customer service contact and liaison for the associations within an assigned industry to assure clients have a positive experience with Naylor as a whole and receive a product and/or service that meets or exceeds expectations.
- Remain attentive to all association requests throughout the year. Build a relationship with the association as the main editorial and content resource from Naylor.
- Establish and maintain relationships not only with associations’ editorial contacts, but also with board members, general/associate members and others that are integral to these organizations.
- Advise associations of industry trends in editorial content, best social media practices, and current topics that are of general interest to both general and associate members of associations in order to direct content toward the widest possible audience.
- Maintain knowledge of legislative, regulatory and other current affairs that are of concern to industry stakeholders.
- Guide the association through the content creation process, serving as not only an expert on the inner workings of their industry, but also as an expert in the publishing industry.
- Work with Naylor’s New Business Development team to support and facilitate the signing of new association clients.
- Address or research frequent questions pertaining to all aspects of the content creation process from all Naylor departments and the association staff.
Content strategist Controlled Content
Devise and develop relevant and timely content that is attractive to both advertisers and the general readership of the publication. This can be done by:
- Working with Naylor’s internal sales team to learn more about content that entices advertisers.
- Reaching out to associations’’ general membership to solicit information and/or articles.
- Selecting and managing freelance writers and photographers with industry knowledge and experience in accordance with project P&Ls and budgets.
- Acquiring content that can benefit multiple associations in the same industry.
- Sourcing and choosing artwork from various outlets to illustrate publications.
Scheduling Planning and Distributing
- Work with the association to develop an annual schedule including milestone dates, conference dates, deadlines and ship dates.
- Research events and tradeshows where a publication or other medium’s (digital, mobile app, etc.) presence would be beneficial to advertisers and/or the association, and schedule ship dates around these events.
- Develop a comprehensive yearly editorial plan containing content relevant to the time of publication.
- Coordinate distribution to the readership, for both print and digital formats.
- Educate and inform the association about how the content creation and production publication process works. Create urgency for clients and writers to meet deadlines. This involves a schedule of phone calls and e-mails to reiterate the due date and check progress.
Editing, Production and Design
- Edit articles for content and substance; proofread articles for spelling, grammar, style and layout. Streamline all content, maintaining consistency throughout the publication.
- Work with the association on design concepts and communicate with the designer to direct creation of an attractive design concept, providing sample layouts that efficiently use space and manage costs. Serve as a liaison between production and the association to ensure that design specifications are adhered to.
- Read and check page proofs in their entirety, evaluating text and graphic design to ensure it adheres to the production worksheet.
- Complete Editorial Review of each publication to ensure that future issues will be of similar quality.
- Ensure that materials are in a usable format for production. This involves:
- Creating a comprehensive, easy-to-use editorial package, with clear instructions and all necessary items included and in good condition.
- Formatting text documents to ensure consistency throughout the document. Convert files to programs used by Production.
- Enter all necessary items in the MIS system to make sure everyone involved is informed on the project. Maintain a history of each project.
- Throughout the project, assess the costs of the publication, keeping them proportional to the revenue and in line with corporate objectives.
- Monitor ad/editorial ratio by determining accurate page counts. Work with the Association and whomever necessary to adjust the ratio when necessary by adding/removing editorial.
- When determining distribution, monitor how many copies are actually necessary in an effort to defray costs when possible.
After the process, consult with the group publisher to evaluate areas for improvement.