Naylor Association Solutions, a leading provider of member engagement and revenue-generating solutions for professional and trade associations, is seeking a highly motivated, energetic Business Development professional with demonstrated ability to help us expand our business within the association marketplace. This includes meeting with and developing relationships with association leaders, evaluating for fit and signing new business agreements with association clients. Key elements of the job include the research and monitoring of associations and industries to identify potential new association partners, as well as the aggressive pursuit of new associations and new business opportunities. The position may be based either in our Tysons Corner, VA office or Chicago office. The position requires considerable travel, as necessary and appropriate.
What you’ll do:
1. Develop annual business objectives:
- Prepare an annual business development plan in conjunction with the Sr. VP of Business Development and other staff. The plan identifies performance goals for the year in terms of identification of and contacts with prospective clients, numbers of new signatures, financial sales targets, profitability, etc. Upon approval, performance will be measured against these plan goals.
2. Achieve new business goals:
- Pursue new associations for partnership opportunities where preliminary assessment measures indicate opportunities for profitable, quality accounts.
- Prepare effective marketing packages for prospective clients. Send out a minimum number of packages expected per month to new prospective clients.
- Conduct onsite visits and telephone contacts to evaluate potential projects and ensure prospective clients are a fit for Naylor.
- Negotiate all details of the projects, to include specifications, budgets, P&L, rates and scheduling on all event contracts; prepare accurate P&Ls; draft and finalize proposals and contracts.
- Identify and serve as a catalyst for new business development opportunities wherever they may exist in the association marketplace.
- Attend trade shows, conventions, conferences, etc., to establish networking opportunities among associations and industry affiliates and to discover and develop appropriate business leads.
- Ensure all necessary customer relationship contact information, and other information related to weekly activity and contacts is properly entered into MIS & CRM systems.
What you’ll need to be successful:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field or equivalent related work experience.
- 2+ years of experience in business development OR 5+ years in an outside sales role
- Familiarity and experience working with associations, including how associations operate, etc. This may come from working for an association, providing or selling services to an association, or other such roles which provide insight into the unique world of associations.
- Sound business knowledge of assigned geographic areas and/or industries (DC or Chicago).
- Proven strong written and verbal communication skills, including the capability to work with executives and staff of all levels, both internally and within association partners.
- Ability to write/ create effective proposals.
- Exceptional presentation skills (in-person and via calls/webinars, large and small groups)
- A proven track record for taking initiative, pursuing activities independently, and dealing with challenging situations.
- Good collaboration skills and ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated time-management skills, the ability to properly prioritize work assignments, and to work well under pressure.
- Working computer competency in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), use of the web, and an aptitude to quickly learn and comfortably use other various technology including CRM systems, tools such as Salesforce.com, GroupWise, and proprietary Naylor systems.
- Ability to travel as much as 50% or more of the time, with occasional extensive trips.
Why you’ll love working with us:
Naylor offers the opportunity for individual and career growth, a professional and challenging work environment and a competitive pay and benefits package. We strive to support our employees with comprehensive training, ongoing coaching and constructive feedback, and competitive compensation (including performance-based pay; vacation and sick leave; medical, dental and vision benefits; company-paid life insurance, disability insurance, AD&D insurance, etc.)
If you are customer-oriented, articulate, self-confident, goal-driven, self-motivated and thrive on opportunity, and are prepared for a fast-paced, challenging, enjoyable and rewarding work environment, we look forward to receiving your application.